Monday, May 20, 2013

Post #2 What the heck do I do with all that pork?


Over the weekend, I helped host & plan an event. The event was a big hit, but I may have gotten carried away and I ordered way more catered food than necessary, and as a result, we had a lot left over. 

The Hostess in me says it's always better to have too much food for your guests than not enough. Right?

Anyway...at the end of the event, after giving away as much of the leftover food as possible, Joel (boyfriend) and I were left with the duty of hauling away multiple pounds of pulled pork, a full pan of baked beans, 2 gallons of tea, 2 full containers of BBQ sauce, 1 container of pickle slices, 16 buns, and more banana pudding than any Southerner needs to have in 1 refrigerator....keep in mind I say needs, not wants to have. You can never have too much good nanner puddin'!

So after a couple of days of our 2 human household feeding off of the leftover feast we brought home, here is what we are still left with...

If I just threw all this stuff away, I would have nightmares about little children in Africa who are dying of starvation, but it's taking up way too much room in our small fridge, plus and we are getting downright sick of eating it. 

Needless to say, neither Joel or I will be wanting BBQ again anytime soon. Bleh.

It's times like these that I really wish we lived on a hog farm, not because I want to turn my hogs into cannibals, but because pigs are like living garbage disposals, so the food you throw out isn't going to waste. 

But because we aren't becoming hog farmers anytime soon, I've come up with some creative ways of recycling the pork. As for the baked beans, I'm considering freezing them (because there's not much else you can do with them), and the rest of the stuff will disappear with time. The Banana Pudding will probably be gone by tomorrow, if it lasts that long.

Here are the ideas we've come up with so far (actual recipes & photos to follow): 

1) BBQ Pizza
2) Pork Tacos (Carnitas) < click for the recipe demo!
3) Pork Hash Potatoes < click for the recipe demo!
4) Loaded Pork Potatoes
5) Pork Salad (with Blue cheese or Ranch Dressing)
6) Pork Meatballs
7) Pork Patties for Pork, Egg & Cheese Biscuits

The key is, you can't think of it as "Barbecue," otherwise your mind will reject it and you'll just continue to be sick of it! You have to just look at it as Pork and use it in recipes where you would normally use other kinds of pork.

Share your other delicious alternatives to use up pulled pork!

Y'all Enjoy It!





No comments:

Post a Comment