Friday, August 30, 2013

Life inspired by the Southern Fall


This morning as I woke, I noticed a subtle difference in the day as it was. The Sky was brighter, the air was more crisp, the sound of the cicadas was slightly less harsh, and not to mention, I was voluntarily up and active much earlier than normal. There is only one solid explanation for it, and that is, that Fall has arrived. 

I'm a different person in the Fall. I'm a better person. I'm a happier person. 

That's because, with Fall comes many important things in the South, including two in particular, College Football and Hunting Season. With Fall, the sunlight reflects differently, the winds change and rivalries heat up. With Fall brings campfires and family gatherings, brighter days and louder stadiums. With Fall, the sound of hunters' shotguns exploding in the distance seems comforting, and that's something that the city folk just can't understand. 

And growing up in Alabama, where college football is a way of life, there's something special about waking up on a Saturday morning to the smell of an open flame on the Barbecue grill, that the pit master, however experienced he may be, has been up since sunrise tending to. There's something special about stepping outside and feeling that first cool blast of Fall morning air. There something special about putting champagne or Jack Daniels in your orange juice, before noon, and everyone else, not only being completely fine with it, but joining in with you as well. There's something special about the fact that everyone around you has had nothing else on their mind for the past two days, but the game that's going to be played later today. 

There's an exciting change happening this time of year. Right now, if you look around, you'll notice that the leaves on the trees and the grass on the ground is the most rich shade of green that it will ever be all year, and that's because nature knows, it's almost time to turn. It's nature's last chance to show off it's green before the leaves transform into a beautiful finale of colors and then fade away and fall to the ground. Right now, the heat is subsiding, though it's still hot as hell by other Region's standards. Right now the squirrels and the rabbits, the deer, dove and turkeys are all starting to fatten themselves up for winter. 

But not me. You can't keep me down this time of year.

With fall brings more activity that is normally just exhausting in the sweltering Alabama Summer heat. When the sun goes down, I'll stay up late, just to enjoy the Fall night air, and when the sun comes up, I'll be out early to hear the doves coo, before the day gets hot. I'll have an extra cup of coffee, since my day will last longer, despite the shortening hours of sunlight. I'll have some extra gravy on my biscuit, and some grits on the side, since I'll need the extra energy in the field. 

As a child, I was always sad to see the Summer end, but now as an adult, the Summer can't end soon enough. We've waited all year, but now Fall in the South is finally here, and it's something magical.


Thanks for stoppin' by y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment