Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Post #2 Continued: Using Leftover Pulled Pork for Carnitas



Last night, we completed round 2 of trying to use up the leftover pulled pork from last weekend. Joel even said he was very impressed that we were still eating off of 4 day old pulled pork. 

I'm determined to use all this stuff up and not let it go to waste. 

The good news is, the multiple pounds of leftover pulled pork has now diminished greatly. I think we might manage to finish up the rest of it very, very soon. We are still working on the Banana Pudding...

So to start off, you will need a few things (besides the pulled pork)...


Some of these you might already have in your kitchen, so you really don't have to go out of the way for the ingredients and it's a very simple, low-stress meal to make. I normally have Sour Cream, tortillas, onions, minced garlic, cheese, tomatoes and Cholula Sauce on hand. Limes usually start making a regular appearance in the house around this time of year (Spring-Summer). As for Salsa Verde, this was the first time I have bought it myself, but I've always loved "that green stuff" that they serve at the Mexican restaurants. This delicious sauce is easy to find in the grocery store, on the ethnic foods isle next to the regular salsa. 

Feel free to use your own favorite fixins too, like guacamole, black olives, peppers or cilantro. My cilantro plant died so I was out. :(


Since I have Type 1 Diabetes, I'm always on the lookout for low-carb options that don't taste like cardboard. These new "carb-balance" whole wheat tortillas taste good, but I can guarantee you they are NOT, I repeat, NOT LOW CARB. After eating just one and giving myself the appropriate amount of insulin, my bloodsugar was through the roof for hours, worse than eating the regular old white tortillas. It just goes to show you, that just because it's "wheat," or "low cholesterol," or has "0 trans fats," that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for you. I've had success with other low-carb options, like Dreamfield Low-Carb Pasta (which is magical, considering I'm part Italian), but not these guys. 

Oh well...

After you have all your ingredients gathered, start off by heating up some olive oil on medium heat (just enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet). Mince some garlic. Once the oil is hot, throw the garlic in the oil to cook. Be careful not to brown and burn the garlic. Burnt garlic is pretty awful... I tell you this from experience. 

While the garlic is cooking, dice up about 1/4 of an onion. You can use whatever kid of onion you prefer. I use the yellow sweet onions since I have a random food allergy to the purple ones (but not white or yellow ones... weird, I know). Once you have the onion chopped up, toss it in with the garlic and let it all cook together until the onions are translucent, like this:


Once the onions are cooked, add in the meat, plus about 1/2 cup of water, salt and Cholula sauce to taste:


I add in water so that the meat doesn't dry out, plus creates a little bit of it's own broth for the meat to marinate in. Cook until all the water has dried up and the meat begins to fry a little bit. 

While all this is going on, you (or your boyfriend, husband, children) can grate the cheese, and cut up the tomatoes. This is a great way to work together in the kitchen as a family, and everyone feels like they are contributing! Cutting up tomatoes, grating cheese and chopping lettuce for taco night are my earliest memories of helping cook with my mom as a kid. Don't be afraid to let your children use a knife, as long as you teach them how to use it properly! 

Joel's favorite part, cheese.

This tends to happen when the cheese comes out of the fridge...


Labrador vacuums at attention.

Next: assemble your creation: The Salsa Verde goes on the pork, add cheese, tomato, sour cream and lime juice all over!

No, I do not actually eat the lime slice! I just took a picture with the lime because it looked pretty. :)

 And Enjoy.



Ingredient Portions:

1/2-1lb of pulled pork
Soft Tortillas
Breakstone's Sour Cream, for topping
1 diced small-medium size tomato
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup diced onion (or about 1/4 of an onion)
2-3 tbsp olive oil, or enough to cover the bottom of your skillet
1 seven ounce can of Salsa Verde
Cholula Sauce to taste
1 lime (1 slice per serving)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese



Thanks for stoppin' by, y'all!



No comments:

Post a Comment